For over 20 years, the Stuart community has participated in a Locks of Love hair cutting event and donated a combined 400 ponytails to support children suffering from hair loss. While we are unable to host our traditional hair cutting ceremony in the Front Hall, we are pleased that our community can continue to participate in this time-honored tradition.
If you would like to participate, individuals in our community are welcome to cut their hair privately following the Locks of Love guidelines listed below. Contributions can be returned to Ms. La Nasa in the Front Hall by Monday, March 1, along with the Locks of Love donation form, which is available here.
GUIDELINES FOR ACCEPTABLE DONATIONS
Locks of Love is not a manufacturer of any type of hair replacement system or hair care product. As a charity and strictly a charity, they purchase the custom prostheses they provide free of charge to their recipients.
- Anyone can cut your hair. Donors are encouraged to go to a salon they are already familiar with to ensure their comfort when donating.
- 10 inches measured tip to tip is the minimum length that can be used in a hairpiece.
- Colored or permed hair is acceptable. If you are unsure, you may send your hair with the understanding that the manufacturer determines the viability of all hair donations.
- Hair that was cut years ago is usable if it has been stored in a ponytail or braid.
- Any hair NOT bundled in a ponytail or braid cannot be used. This includes hair swept off the floor or shaved without being bundled.
- Dreadlocks cannot be used as the process of blending hair donations together requires that the hair must be combed.
- Layered hair should be divided into multiple ponytails.
- Curly hair may be pulled straight to measure the minimum 10 inches.
- Shorter hair will be separated from the ponytails and may be sold to offset the manufacturing costs. Although the shorter hair cannot be used in the hairpieces, if sold, it greatly helps to reduce costs.
- Gray hair may be sold to offset the manufacturing costs.
- Because Locks of Love creates custom hairpieces for each child, they cannot use donations of wigs, falls, hair extensions or synthetic hair.
The Hair Donation Form is not required to donate hair. If you are having trouble downloading or printing the Hair Donation Form, provide your name and address on any sheet of paper and include it with your donation. Please provide your email address if you wish to receive your “thank you” via email.
Last but not least, please help us build an album of before and after pictures by emailing email@example.com.
Questions? Contact Melinda La Nasa at firstname.lastname@example.org.