Stuart Writing Center
The Stuart Writing Center aims to foster an active writing community that empowers students to become effective and confident writers and nurtures tutors to become skilled and compassionate leaders.
The Writing Center:
- Offers peer tutoring sessions to Middle and Upper School students at any stage of the writing process
- Provides support for students who struggle with writing
- Works with writers who wish to further hone and enhance their writing skills
- Serves as a resource for teachers and students
- Creates opportunities for student leadership through the peer tutor training program
Juniors and seniors are eligible to apply to be peer tutors at the writing center if they meet all of the following requirements:
- Maintained at least an A- average in all English writing assignments in her junior year
- Attended the required training sessions
- Expressed an enthusiasm for the writing process as well as working with students to improve their writing
- Have received at least one recommendation from an English teacher
This year has been difficult for us all, but I'm proud of all the efforts that every Writing Center member put to make virtual tutoring as efficient as in-person sessions. For me, I think the benefits of tutoring virtually are that it makes the tutor sessions more accessible for both the students and tutors, and it allows the tutors to assist the students in a professional way. I really like all the virtual sessions that I had this year, and I also think they provided necessary help to the students.
While I thought being a virtual tutor would be difficult, it has actually gone really well this year. Although it is different to be virtual, using google meet still allows me to connect and have real time discussions with who I am tutoring.
Upper School English Department Chair
Writing Center Director