National Center for Girls' Leadership at Stuart
Established in 2015, the National Center for Girls' Leadership at Stuart (NCGLS) works to support and empower the next generation of female leaders.
Through research, professional programming, and development of innovative EC-12 curriculum, Stuart serves as a resource to parents, students and educators throughout the world.
The Leadership Endorsement at Stuart
The National Center for Girls’ Leadership at Stuart Leadership Endorsement is a customized and personalized opportunity for each girl to leverage her unique passion and interests towards developing authentic leadership skills. While each girl has the freedom to guide her own experiential learning program, she does so following an organized, and clear set of experiences scaffolded in a developmentally appropriate way. During her four years as an Upper School Leadership Endorsement candidate, she will not only practice leadership skills and learn more about a content area of her choosing, but she will learn how to take a casual interest and conduct authentic, productive academic inquiry.
Leadership Endorsement Concentrations
Leadership Endorsement in STEM
Leadership Endorsement in Arts & Humanities
Leadership Endorsement in Social Justice
Leadership Endorsement in Business and Entrepreneurship
Leadership Endorsement Requirements (Over 3-4 Years)
- Selected courses already in curriculum will count (like a minor) - Plus 1 required Leadership course which will be offered every trimester and in the summer
- Freshman Endorsement Orientation Events - optional (Portfolio Log)
- Sophomore Internship: A Labatut’s Learning Lab Experience (Portfolio Log)
- Junior Venture: An Independent Project (Portfolio Reflection)
- Senior Mentorship: A connection with a Sophomore and Junior Endorsement candidate
- Service Requirement: Authentic connection and inclusion of service learning goal and the 5 Goals and Criteria (Portfolio Reflection)
- Off-site visitation, interview (Portfolio Reflection)
- Summer Beyond Stuart Experience (Portfolio Reflection)
- Off-site conference related to leadership or content area (Portfolio Reflection)
- Participation in a minimum of 3 #LLAG initiatives/events (Portfolio Reflection)
National Center for Girls' Leadership Signature Events
#LEADLIKEAGIRL: A Conference for Risk-Takers and Changemakers is a one-day event on the campus of Stuart Country Day School of the Sacred Heart for girls in K-12, parents, educators and mentors. First held in 2017, #LEADLIKEAGIRL is designed to showcase and inspire girls’ confidence and creativity in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math), entrepreneurism, finance and leadership.
The Harris B. Siegel Fund for Student Leadership
The expansion of our leadership programs has been made possible by the Harris B. Siegel Fund for Student Leadership, established by Patricia Costante and Stephanie Champi ’12. Their generous gift was given to Stuart in gratitude for Mr. Siegel, a long time director of college counseling.
The Advisory Board serves in the capacity of consultant to the National Center for Girls' Leadership at Stuart. The advisory board consists of outstanding leaders across a variety of disciplines who are deeply committed to the advancement of leadership development in young women. The president of Stuart's student government and a faculty liaison also serve on the Board.
Stephanie Champi ’12
Recruitment Manager at Teach For America
John A. Edwardson Dean of the College of Engineering, Roscoe H. George Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Ivonne Diaz Claisse
President and CEO, HISPA
Vice President and Chief Security Officer, Prudential Financial
Dr. Trisha Medeiros
President, Ursuline Academy
Priyanka Sinha ’00
CEO and Founder, Xitiway
Joanna Vargas ’88
Founder, Joanna Vargas Skincare and Salon
Faculty in Residence
Middle School Dean of Students, Chair of Upper School Fine Arts
STEM Endorsement Co-Chair, Biology Teacher
Upper School Dean of Students, Math Teacher
Lower School Theology and Drama Teacher
Leadership Endorsement Chair,
Middle and Upper Schools Health Teacher
STEM/SIFE Coordinator, STEM Endorsement Co-Chair,
Technology Innovation Specialist